While Oprah Winfrey's recent purchase of a nearly $6 million co-op unit in Streeterville has attracted media attention, the talk-show queen also has paid $780,000 for a two-level condominium unit in a loft building that is closer to her studios.
In fact, the Near West Side condo that Winfrey bought is less than a block from Oprah's studios, in the seven-story Acorn Loftominiums building.
Winfrey purchased the unit, which had been listed for $800,000, through her Studio Merchandise Inc. corporation, which was formed in 1993 and of which she serves as president.
However, unlike the co-op unit on East Lake Shore Drive, which Winfrey is expected to move into--thereby vacating her longtime duplex in Water Tower Place--the Acorn building unit is not expected to be Oprah's residence.
A spokeswoman for Winfrey confirmed the unit's purchase but declined to comment on its use.
The new unit is another addition to Winfrey's massive real-estate empire. Along with this new loft unit, her Water Tower Place duplex and the Lake Shore Drive co-op unit,
Oprah's other properties are:
- The 42.77-acre "Promised Land" estate in Montecito, Calif., that she bought in 2001 for $50 million and expanded in 2004 by buying an adjacent 1-acre property.
- More than $13 million worth of oceanfront property in Maui.
- A Fisher Island, Fla., condo unit that she purchased in 1996 for $660,000.
- A 10,433-square-foot house on 4.02 acres in Greenwich, Conn., that she bought in 2000 for $3.6 million.
- A house in Merrillville, Ind.
- A lakefront condominium in Milwaukee that she purchased in 2003 for $448,900.
- Two adjoining condo units in Atlanta that she bought in 2003 for $1.515 million.
- A condo in suburban Atlanta that she purchased in 2005 for $825,000.
- A Nashville condo that she bought in 2002 for $191,500.
- A 7,020-square-foot house and an adjacent lot in Franklin, Tenn., that she purchased in 2001 and 2002 for nearly $1.52 million that her father occupies.
- A 2,255-square-foot, single-family house in near west suburban Elmwood Park that she bought in 2001 for $298,000