Here are 10 tips to selling your home via a flat fee mls listing.
1. Research flat fee companies - I will speak more to this in a future article but basically you want to choose a company that is locally licensed (not a referral company) so that you are able to call or email and ask relevant questions prior to signing up. Some questions include: Are there any back end fees? Will your company be listing my home directly? What services are included? How many years have you been in business?
2. Price your home right - Some flat fee services will actually send you comps from the mls for free prior to listing. Make sure you review the specs for the homes that have closed that are most similar in to yours in type, square footage and location.
3. Take great pictures - I recommend hiring a professional. For around $150 The 2 biggest mistakes fsbo home sellers make is pricing their home wrong and taking terrible pictures.
4. Be ready to show your home at all times - One of the toughest aspects of the selling process (for all sellers) is always having your home "ready to show". Real estate agents will make last second showing requests and you need to be ready or risk losing a potential sale. This is not because the agent is unorganized or lazy but likely because they are just following buyers requests. If you cannot be there for showings than get a lock box so agents can get access when you are not there.
5. Get feedback whenever possible - When people call to schedule a showing get their cell phone numbers and email addresses and once they have completed a showing follow up and ask for feedback. You don't have to identify yourself as the owner (some agents might hesitate to give feedback directly to you). I would say something like...Hi Jane, You showed 123 Main street yesterday and I just wanted to get some feedback. Then shut up and see what they say. You can add some probing questions like: How is it priced versus what else you have seen? What did your buyers think? Are they interested? Any suggestions on what we might do to make the place more attractive to buyers?